If you were following me towards the end of last year (08) you may remember a product review I did for something called “phpBay Pro.”
I had just started my Geocaching blog at that time (I have since sold that site) and was looking for monetization ideas. Since there are alot of different Geocaching items on eBay, I figured I would give phpBay Pro a shot and 8 months later I can say I’m glad I did.
(If you don’t know, it’s a product that allows you to easily set up small “stores” on your site that sell eBay products. It’s very easy to set up. You could have a phpBay store up in less than 5 minutes. However, this post isn’t about the mechanics of it. If you want to learn exactly what it is, just refer to the initial review, which I linked to above.)
I’ll tell you right away how much I’m making from it. I’m currently only using phpBay Pro on my Geocaching blog and it averages about $40/month.
Now, $40 a month may not sound very impressive, but it IS and I’ll tell you why. There are 2 reasons:
1. I’ve done VERY little promotion of the blog and it gets very little traffic. I’ve submitted ONE article to ezinearticles and followed a bunch of Geocachers on Twitter. The blog only gets about 20 visitors a day! In the past few weeks I have started to do some more promotion, but for the past 8 months I’ve done VERY little. You could almost say no promotion. Most of the 20 or so daily visitors is coming from Google for various related terms and Twitter. In other words, there isn’t anything special going on here.
2. phpBay Pro has outperformed both Adsense and Affiliate offers that I’ve placed on the blog. Outperformed would actually be an understatement. I had Adsense on the blog for 30 days and it earned $4.67 I removed adsense and placed some very targeted affiliate offers for one month and I made 1 sale, which resulted in a $12 commission for me. SO, I went back to PHPbay Pro and right away it was back up to $40 a month!
Now my plan is to simply start promoting it, mostly through article marketing, and get that $40/m. up to $1,000/month. I’m confident I’ll get it there in the next 6 months or so. The way I see it, if one article and a little tweeting got it to a consistant $40/month, what will 20, 30 or even 50 articles do?
Why does it outperform adsense and affiliate offers?
You know what, I honest don’t have a good answer to that, but it certainly has in this case. My initial thoughts on this was that it could be an alternative to adsense in certain niches or affiliate programs in others. But I honestly didn’t think it would be possible to earn much money, just from eBay fees. I was wrong! People find something in the phpBay Pro shop, then it seems they tend to buy multiple products, so those fees add up, which means my commissions add up each time.
This data has convinced me that this is a viable money maker for niche sites and even authority sites depending on the niche and model. After seeing the results from this blog, I’m going to be adding a phpBay Pro store to almost all of my niche niches and even a few of my authority sites.
Whether you run niche sites or authority sites, if there are products related to your niche on eBay I recommend considering this! It’s working for me and I bet it will work for you too!
If you choose to give it a shot, I worked out a discount for you.
To take advantage of the discount use the link below:
Then use this Discount code: 2E9C2A36C9
Once you get there, you’ll have a few options:
1. phpBay Pro for WordPress – This is what I use and what I recommend to you if you use WordPress.
2. phpBay Pro API – This is what you would use if you do not use WordPress. Will yield the same result.
3. phpZon Pro for WordPress – This is just like the phpBay Pro WordPress plugin, except it uses Amazon products, instead of eBay. I haven’t used this yet, but I plan on doing some tests in the near future. It looks promising!
4. phpZon Pro API – This is just like the phpBay Pro API, except it uses Amazon products, instead of eBay. I haven’t used this yet, but I plan on doing some tests in the near future. It looks promising!