For much more info on this subject, including screenshots and real data I stored while ranking for the phrase, grab a copy of my free report at http://www.MMONicheExposed.com/
For several months now I’ve been mentioning the fact that the main directory of this site has been sitting on the front page of Google for “make money online” (without quotes.) I realize it’s getting a bit repetitive and possibly annoying that I keep throwing that out there…bragging.
To be honest with you I am somewhat proud of that ranking, so obviously I want people to know I hold it. However, that’s not the only reason I keep mentioning it.
If you read my latest report “The Easy SEO Report,” you know that achieving that position was the product of using simple, well-known SEO strategies and not using any kind of top-secret formula.
However, that niche is terribly misunderstood and very few people know that. There are loads of newbies and guru’s alike who constantly compete for that keyword phrase. Guess what, 90% of them are targeting the wrong niche!!
Here’s the Truth
According to Aaron’s SEO Book Keyword Tool, “make money online” (without quotes) gets an estimated 1,275 daily searches.
- Out of 1,275, I’d imagine that at least 400 or so are done by you and I. Yep, those of us who are competing for that phrase. I know I check it quite often and I’d imagine there are many other marketers who do the same!
- Most people are trying to conquer this keyword with the wrong content! This niche is targeted to people who have no idea what Internet marketing is all about. These people want to quite literally “make money online.” If they were looking for info on Internet marketing they would type that instead. So, if your site is targeted to those people it will convert. If your site is about affiliate marketing, blogging, SEO etc. it’s not going to convert because these people don’t know what the hell you’re talking about!
It’s crazy how many sites and blogs I see who are targeting that niche, but offering SEO advice, or PLR content etc. etc. If your site is about SEO, why don’t you target an SEO search phrase? If your site is about PLR why don’t you target a PLR search phrase? I just don’t get it? I guess people are blinded by the hype that everyone creates about this keyword phrase.
The thing is, we (Internet Marketers) for some reason, relate the Internet Marketing niche with the Make Money Online niche. The thousands of people who are doing this are wasting their time. If their site/blog ever gets to the top it will not convert, at all!
It’s Still Worth It
It is worth it, but only if your content is targeted to that niche. Although the main directory of this site does need updated (badly,) and I do need to change the focus a bit, it does convert pretty decent. It’s been bouncing around from the #4 spot to the #9 spot with approximately $30/day in Adsense earnings and a CB sale or two each week.
However, I’ve built a list of a couple thousand from those visitors and NOTHING internet marketing related converts! When I promote a product that shows how to make money doing something I make several sales. If a product requires even a basic knowledge of Internet marketing it doesn’t convert.
So here is a recap and a few points to ponder:
- If you target this niche your site needs to provide BASIC information on how to make money! Very basic!
- The search volume is unnaturally inflated due to marketers competing for the phrase.
- It’s profitable and worth going for if your content is targeted, but it’s not the glorified gold-mine it’s perceived to be!
photo credit: vinodchattergee