Back in November of 2004 when I put up my very first website, I had literally no knowledge at all on web technologies. I barely knew how to use my computer, let alone create a website or run an email list. But over the years I learned little by little, mainly by just trying things, breaking things and fixing things.
When I look back, there are some things I wish I never would have spent any time at all on, but there are other things that I REALLY wish I would have spent much more time and energy on … those things are what I’m spending more time on now, while I would be profiting from that knowledge if I would have spent more time back then learning them.
So today I would like to get a little deeper into those things, so you can learn from my mistakes and also from my successes.
Basic Skills that All Internet Marketers should Learn
There are a few skills that ALL Internet Marketers should learn. Sure, you can get away with outsourcing it all or only learning this or that, but it will ultimately cause headache, frustration and probably most importantly, lost time. With that being said, if you haven’t already, I highly recommend you learn the following if you plan to be a long-term, full-time Ineternet Marketer:
1. Basic Webmastering Skills: Connecting/Uploading/Downloading files via FTP, which includes understanding the basic structure of website directories and files. So first off, you should be able to connect via FTP using an FTP client like FileZilla, or a complete editing program like DreamWeaver (which I use) and then you need to be able to browse, edit and upload files, so you’ll need to know how the files and folders are structured.
For example, the root directory (with most servers) is public_html and within that folder the file that typically controls the homepage is index.html (at the most basic level.) Learning the basics of CSS is always good to know as well, since you’ll almost always be dealing with them when modifying websites.
2. HTML: You can get away with not knowing HTML, like I did at first, but eventually you’ll get to the point to where you want to make simple modifications to templates etc. and it just won’t make sense to find a coder, explain what you want done, hope he/she does it correctly, then pay him/her for the easy little change that you could have probably done in about 2 minutes if you just knew a little HTML. And it’s NOT as hard to learn as you may think! HTML seems difficult because all you see are a bunch of characters, but once you understand the basics of it, it really isn’t that difficult to understand. And it’s the “base” code for all web technologies, so it’s definitely a good thing to learn anyway. I HIGHLY recommend you at least start toying with it and learning something here and there, if not going all out and cracking open a tutorial.
3. Creating/Managing MySQL Databases: This one is actually pretty easy. You’ll need to learn how to create a mysql database and plug those details into scripts where they ask for them as you start developing more web properties and start installing scripts. Just google it. You do it within cpanel and it can be done very quickly even if you have no technical knowledge at all.
4. Understanding how PHP works within HTML: Don’t let this one scare you. I’m not saying you BETTER learn PHP. I’m not much past this stage in my own PHP education. But It is very helpful to understand how PHP is implemented into HTML for quick and easy modifications and tweaks. For example, some templates will include php in the title tag of an html page. By simply removing that code you can change the title to whatever you like, without hunting down where that php code pulls it’s info. That is only one of MANY examples.
Moderate/Advanced Skills that will Increase/Multiply your Income
1. Advanced PHP (web applications,) C# (desktop applicatesion) and Visual Basic: (desktop applications) This is something I’m just now getting into, but I’m loving every minute of it. Learning code, particularly PHP, C# and Visual Basic, is a skill that has an INCREDIBLY high profit potential! I know many 7 figure marketers who have similar Internet Marketing knowledge to me. The difference between their 7 figure income and my 6 figure income, is one thing: code! Most internet marketers come up with multiple excellent software ideas regularly, but since they don’t know how to code, they either outsource it or just never do anything with the idea. Outsourcing can work… that’s what I’ve been doing for years, but it’s expensive and you will NEVER get your point across completely to a coder, even if he/she is a good one (and believe me, they are hard to come by) and it will NEVER be as good as it would be if you did it yourself.
2. Server Management and Hardware Resource Management: There is probably some much better, more fancy technical terminology for what I mean, but learning how servers and databases work … what will cause stress and issues on servers, where to get certain types of servers, what is the best type of software to accomplish what you want to accomplish etc. etc. is something that will REALLY help out, especially once you have money to invest and really build out big systems with big user bases. These things MUST be considered in the VERY BEGINNING thought process of software creation. Often times server load and resource management will determine whether software is going to be web based or desktop based.
3. Excel: This might catch you by surprise, but I use excel ALLLLL the time! For my own record keeping, for various lists, for account details… I could go on and on and on. Excel is AWESOME! I don’t know nearly as much as I should about it… I really should take a course on it, but just from the things I do know about it… using formulas etc., it’s a huge time saver and actually a very good resource. Learn everything you can about excel!
I’m sure I’ve missed a thing or two, but off the top of my head these are a few of the most important things. Be SURE to learn those listed in the first group and if you’re making a solid effort to make Internet Marketing a full-time, high income career, I highly recommend you get started on those listed in the second group. I promise you, a person who has a vast knowledge of everything I’ve listed above has an incredibly high likelihood of mega success online!